Friday 3 January 2014

Goodbye HoiAn

Today was the day that made me want to come home right there and then.

Starting with a hotel breakfast we pack and then go book a car for the airport. Easy to book but the price is not what we were quoted last night. And so the discussion begins and we find that last nights price was for a car that may or may not fit our luggage. Todays price is for a mini bus that will fit our luggage.  Not much of a difference so we roll with it.

Next is check out. I ask for one print out for each room, not one with handwritten calculations, or a separate pagenfor each day.  Oh too hard.  I have a feeling  we were being ripped off again but past caring.

We get to the airport, spy a Burger King and frantically run to get out burgers.  Rubbish burgers but they tasted so good.  We were dissappointed that there were no onion rings, but thats ok we have enough dong left for another round in Hanoi where  we have a 2 hour wait between flights.

As we wait and wait Amy realises that our flight was running late.  I go to find out and am told it is only 10 minutes late.  That is 10 minutes later than the reschdule that they  have already done which means we now have 30 minutes between flights in Hanoi.  I go talk to the staff and they assure us they will get us on the plane.  

When we boarded the flight I carefully and slowly told the flight attendant that we had to catch a connection 30 minutes after this one landed so could we please get off first?  Her reply.  "Sorry but we only have water". How can you not laugh........  Then I repeated myself and she told me that they had it all under control. 

And indeed they did as they had promised and we ran between flights, missed out on burger king and got on board just before the bridge was drawn away.  I check my mail before take off and find that the stupid LaoCentral airline has cancelled one of my flights, which means I now have to change a series of flights to get to Krabi.  Also means change fees, loss of hotel bookings etc.  I am so over these pathetic wee airlines holding us all to ransom.  They have cancelled flights on all the wedding guests left right and centre and are not being held responsible by anyone.  I'm sick of arguing every time something gets stuffed up because people choose not to understand or are too busy trying to rip everyone off.

We arrive in Vientinane. I go, along with about 10 others, to get my visa.  We stand like idiots in a queue waiting for a policeman to arrive so the visas can be processed.  The policeman does not process the visas but has to be sitting in seat no 1 so the poeple in seats 2 and 3 can do the processing.  They know what time flights arrive and don't give a continental whether people have to wait or not.  Some of the people had connections to make and missed them because they had to wait for the visa

But we get to town, Matt and Amy get to their hotel and I get to mine.  I am given a room with a lovely view which I knew mean that it would look onto the road, and opposite the wat, but I am beyond caring whether there is noise or not. At least Vientiane does not go until late.

Quickly I shower, in an acceptable shower, and go meet Matt and Amy.  We were going to go to Makphet for dinner but they were full so we ended up at a wee street stall down by the markets.  BeerLao, sticky rice, papaya salad, garlic chicken and sausage.  Happy as.... We pop into Sticky Fingers and say hi to the Bainbridges before walking through the market and having a coffee at Khop Chai Deu.  None of it was remarkable.

I return to the hotel ready to start checking out flights to replace the one that has been cancelled.  O surprise surprise the wifi doesnt work.  After a protracted phone discussion with the guy at reception, who suggested I should get out of bed and go downstairs so he could tell me the correct password, I dont think so lovey, I eventually got on line.  May as well not have bothered.  It is so slow I think it will be quicker for me to go along in person tomorrow....

Please can I go home.  No blogs for a few days.  Rest and wedding preparations will be the plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment