Thursday 12 December 2013

Reading relaxing and reminiscing

The past three days in Vientiane have been spent at the Manoly Hotel, a converted homestead, with a new wing, about 15 minutes walk from the restaurant area.

It is so quiet and peaceful here amongst the trees and garden; my balcony overlooks the pool and many times the only sound I can hear is that of water trickling in to the pond below. 

                                                  

Mr Tragedy, that initially welcomed me with music, has now gone into sulk mode and hardly talks at all, which is great.

I have done very little for the past three days.  A walk to town to get lunch a couple of times and one day I only made it to the deli over the road where I bought fresh bread and hummus for lunch and dinner.  Bliss.  I have done little odd jobs on line, caught up on some sleep, rested my very weary feet amd even read some of my book. I was shattered.

Yesteday I received some sad news that a friend in NZ was killed in a motor accident.  Amazing how quick you can get jolted back into reality.  Poor Pat, its only a few years ago, at this time of year, that her husband died suddenly and she was starting to get herself back together again.  Life stinks sometimes.

Today I am starting to feel human again so I walked to the city, visited my favourite shop Banneton for a pastry, bought a couple of books from Monument Books (a great bookstore with all sorts of books) and walked back to the hotel for a rest before I headed off again.

I have delayed, again, my trip to the retreat so now leave on Saturday and come back Tuesday.  Can't wait.

Rested I go into the city and meet Bianca to do some wedding stuff.  We just have to stop at Banneton for another fix and then meet Michael on the top floor pub, Bor Pen Yang where we have an amazing view across the night market, over the people wandering along the park and others exercising on the river bank, then right over the Mekong as far as Thailand.

                                 

Our evening meal was another epic at Makphet, my favourite, where we had my usual banana flower salad, a not quite as good as last time smoked eggplant salad, ok luang prabang sausage, superb beef filet wrapped in betel leaves, to die for fish rolled in brocolli leaves with a spectacularly good dipping sauce and also a divine chicken curry.  Far too much food but oh so good.

  
    Beef wrapped in betel leaves

                 Fish wrapped in broccoli leaves 


 
  Eggplant with lemongrass and galangal

                         Luang Prabang Sausage  

I walked some of it off on the way home but I bade goodnight to the others as they rode off on their motorbike.
TV for a bit and then sweet dreams everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment