Tuesday 29 October 2013

HCMC day one

With the changes to my flights I re look at the days I have planned and after the mammoth trip Ive just had and decide that an overnighter on an uncomfortable and hot bus is not something I want to do when I am time limited.  So a quick change of plan necesitates.  Overnight bus canned and flight from HCMC to Siem Reap booked.  I will forgo the day in Phnom Penh and go straight through.   Hotel bookings changed I'm ready to go.

The day started so well.  Good sleep and PHO for breakfast, what a way to start.  Worth the day yesterday to start today the way I wanted.

I set off on foot.  Hot and humid with no map, of course I go round and round in circles, but look at the things I saw that would have otherwise had missed.  Such a beautiful city with lovely parks everywhere.  Lots of open spaces heavily planted with tall trees.


Traffic chaos, scooters everywhere, road rules?  Doesn't appear to be any.  Crossing the road a bit different to other places where the rule is run like hell. Here you step out slowly and walk slow, giving the kamikazes time to manoeuvre round you.  Feels quite safe actually.

I spend a few hours at the War Remnants museum at a loss to even contemplate the atrocities and what the people went through  to save their lives and their country.  As if the war itself wasn't enough they still have the effects of agent orange to cope with.



Horrific descriptions and evidence of torture, replicas of cells that dogs shouldn't be kept in. Heroic stories of human sacrifice and overarching demonstrations of the world opposition ti the US presence

Living in our noddy world its incomprehensible that people fought so hard for their country and their beliefs  prepared to savrifice everything because the option was no better.  With tears streaming down my face I head on my way. I cannot comprehend what it would be like to live through something like that.

I move on also filled with anger with the arrogance of our western tourists here in a foreign country in their short shorts and skimpy tops. Yes it's hot, but keep your shorts and sleeveless tops for the beach where they should be in ANY country.  A bit of respect for the culture of the country you are in would be good. But then these are probably the same people that complain about foreigners with head coverings in their own country.

Obviously many people leave home totally ignorant of where they are going or the circumstances of the places they are going to.  HCMC is one of the most notorious cities for pickpocketing and bag snatching and for once I have taken on board the many warnings from seasoned travellers not to venture out with anything that can be pinched. Jewellery removed and all possessions in my pockets or on my body I head out but see dozens of others with gear over their shoulder for all to pinch.  Hope they make it OK

I walk on, find my way back to the hotel and the adjoining markets.  Here I was at home having spent months searching material shops and I fid myself in an area full of fabric shops and tailor.  Oh so lucky that there is no room in my suitcase because I could see shopping coming home with me.

I arm myself with a few supplies including pastries for dinner.  The cutest pastry shop where you are given a pair of tongs and a tray when you walk in.  You help yourself from any of the many cabinets and take your selection to the counter.  each item is packed in a neat little bag before being put into a larger bag for transporting.  They didn't get transported far, for I dug into the ham and cheese croissant two seconds after I got out of the shop.  French pastries are a good legacy to leave behind. Yum.

Lunch beckons and I head for a wee hole in the wall for grilled pork, which came in a bowl of broth, a bowl of noodles and then bean sprouts and greens on the side (Bun Cha).  Into the small bowl go some noodles, then some broth, greens, sprouts and the pork.  Add a bit of fish sauce and some chilli and heaven comes close.  Coupled by a pork and shrimp, Banh Tom, and I am in raptures.  Big bonus that it comes in at about 8NZD.

Can of coke, complete with takeaway glass of ice and its own plastic bag finishes my meal.  I AM in heaven.  Time for a nap.




5 comments:

  1. Glad to see you a) survived the road traffic. Just remember your out thrust palm is your friend. b) you found the french bakeries - such good value.

    PS... What's up with your Viber account? Says you have uninstalled it? Or are you behind a firewall preventing it from working?

    Jealous-Wish I was back there again.

    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traffic craziest I have ever seen and boy have I seen crazy. Only bakery I found was a chain but nevertheless was yum and added some calories. 4 phos in two days, have to change my diet

      Delete
  2. Pps don't drink the ice is a good tip. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dont do ice full stop. Anywhere

    ReplyDelete
  4. Except for when you have a friend in the know that sends y to the right places

    ReplyDelete