Sunday 27 October 2013

Going nowhere FAST

Well day one wasn't what it was supposed to be.  Typically planned to within a stupid degree I cleaned the house, washed linen, got it dry before I left, delivered the cat to its new temporary home, delivered the car to its collection point, left notes for everyone, made phone calls, lunched with Mom and I'm all ready to go.

Goodbyes said, my super nephew dropped me at the airport nice and early. Was put on an earlier flight since there was availability and since the wind was coming up it seemed like a good option.  Never travelled overseas on a one way ticket, (and return on another ticket with another carrier) for years so was interesting to see the formalities, checking that I was actually going to leave somewhere at some stage.

Visa checked and I am ready to go.  One quick flight to Auckland where I stay till midnight (means I can sleep the moment I hit that seat), then through to Hong kong for a flight change and on to Ho Chi Minh City.

Except, except, except.  Confounded Wellington wind, which we have been plagued by this year, decided to show its vengeance and reared its ugly hell in a big way.  Flights couldn't get in so flights couldn't leave.  Early flight cancelled but managed to re book on the original flight.  Great Im on my way.

Wrong, flight cancelled.  No incoming aircraft.  Now I realised that I was not going to make that connection.  Despite the Koru status and sweet smile I am told that i have to phone Air nz to re-book.  Judging from the number of people hanging out with phones to their ear that was not going to be an easy task, but luckily I got through quickly (thanks Mr Koru).

You know how sometimes you are such a smart arse that it backfires!  Well, here I am traveling to HCMC supposedly arriving midday.  My inside my head plans have visions of eating pho bo at a particular wee restaurant I have been recommended. That is where my head is.  So I tell the very polite young lady from Air NZ that I MUST be in HCMC Monday morning for an urgent meeting.  Mad, or bad, or maybe good move.

Long and short of it is that the lovely lady searched for options and has facilitated my first Pho in HCMC on the Monday ( breakfast even if I want) and has me on a flight leaving Wellington at 7:00am.  That means 5:30am check in but that ok.

That will take me to Auckland where I swap planes for NARITA.  Never been there, never wanted to go there but now I will be able to say that I have been if only to change planes.  From Narita I go to HCMC arriving at midnight, early enough to need the hotel bed I have booked but too late for the free shuttle.   But I shall have Pho for breakfast on Monday.

And so home I go.  Fresh, clean and crunchy sheets waiting for my return, but I wasn't expecting it to be so quick,  nothing to eat but luckily I stocked up on rubbish at the airport, but the worst was NO ARCHIE.  Seems he was keeping Fi company when she couldn't sleep.  Apparently he was keeping her keyboard warm and head-butting her for attention.  Glad he feels at home.

Monday morning, after a drug induced comatic sleep and I'm back at the airport, too early for even the lounge and wifi so what does one do - hot chai, bacon buttie and blog updates.

Hopefully I am leaving soon. The plane awaits so no reason to delay she says.
TBC from Auckland or Narita or maybe the PHO shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment