Monday 16 December 2013

Lazing? Not really, just doing nothing

Well, I came to relax.  And I am doing it well.  Ban Pako's website markets the place as somewhere to relax, trek, have massages and lie in the hammock.  Yesterday I did very little other than read my book and relax.

Last night after getting my room sorted and placing things in strategic places that hopefully I would hear if  anyone tried to get into my room, I sprayed thoroughly with fly spray and crawled under my mosquito net. There I found my new best friend.  A skinny small excuse for a pillow, just the way I like them.  Yay.

I read for a bit still feeling quite uncomfortable being the only guest here, particularly with no locks on the doors.  But that didnt last long and I quickly fell asleep and slept for a bout three hours.  A good run for me.  It was still only about 1:30, so I popped a wee blue pill and woke again at 8:30, still groggy.  What a marathon for me.  Was wonderful to have slept straight throughh like that but I cant say I felt any better for it.  It took quite some time for me to feel human again.

After a very average pod type coffee I decided to check out the jungle trek, which turned out to be a walk through the bush, as pretty boring at that.  I came back wearing a black skirt covered in biddybid type things which took me an hour to pick out.  At least it was something to do.  Maybe I wont go on any more of their walks.  I expected to find pretty flowers, butterflies and birds as the web site described.  Instead I found paths that needed much maintenance, dust and dusty looking unimpressive foliage.

And so I retured to my deck and read; a book called Bangkok Boy telling of the sad life of a young boy who wanted to make something of himself but instead spent years on the streets in a life of prostitution, gambling and drinking which nearly resulted in his death.  It took a close shave for him to wake his ideas up which I guess is not too dissimilar to the lives of many other sad young kids in any number of other countries.  Not a book, that I am going to be taking home with me.

I enjoyed taking in the sites of the property, the views across the river and loved watching the river drift downstream.  It just seemed to glide along as if a sheet of ice.  Majestic, serene and peaceful.

                                

                                

Lunch was a rather spicy beef salad which did not appear to have any beef.  There was meat but almost white, tasteless and chewy.  It came in a pinkish sort of sauce that had been thickened with ground sticky rice.  Not sure if the meat was chicken or pork or something else, but I ate it and sort of enjoyed it.

                                 


The afternoon was exhausting, it is so tiring having to decide whether its to be the chair, the bench or the hammock and then making the move from one to the next, swapping the cushions as I moved.  Totally draining and exhausting.  I listened, nothing, just nature.  Bliss.

To fill in time I wrote my blog, to be finished after dinner.  As I wrote I was thinking to myself how amazing it was that I had filled a page about nothing and actualy made it quite interesting.  I thought too soon because when I came to finish it off after dinner I had lost everything I had written.  Bummer, so I started again as I read back realise that my blog is now about as interesting as my day was. Sleep inducing.

Dinner was a rather uninspiring larb, again the meat was light coloured and tasteless, but cuddled inside the balls of sticky rice it at least had a bit of texture if no flavour.  Even the herbs didn't help.  But it wasn't horrible, just nothing.

But before my dinner was served the waiter bought me a plate of what looked like brown broad beans.  He called it Ma Bok, and it looked like some sort of bean which had been deep fried and seasoned.  They were still hot when he bought them to me and were so, so, so good.  The salt and pepper seasoning didnt seem to have anything else with it and the crunchiness of the bean was perfect.  My dark beerlao was the perfect accompaniment.

                                


Again I am sitting on the deck, relaxing and listening to the crickets and my ghecko, trying to kill time until its late enough to go to bed.  There are other guests here tonight so I will sleep easier. 

                                 

My sonic zapper appears to be working as there is not a bug in sight.  Although I just spied, and subsequently killed the most enormous wasp I have ever seen.  It would have been at least 6 cm in length.  But it aint no more.  My fly spray works wonders.  It has started blowing slightly and that probably helps the bug situation. A few minutes ago it rained, what a surprise.  It's a while since I have heard or felt rain. Sadly, it wasn't enough to really cool the air or to give off that wonderful smell that comes with rain hitting the ground.

I eventually turn off the rather pathetic excuse for a light and wiht the help of my fones flash light find my way into bed.  I don't remember an awful lot till I woke to the sound of heavy rain and wind at about 12:30am.  I lay there for a while.listening, and then, as happens, realised I needed a loo visit.  

I am so very pleased that I turned the bathroom light on and managed to glimpse something wriggling on the floor.  Oh, just what I want in my room in the middle of the night but a scorpion in the throes of dying.  Watching it all the time I reach out and grab the insect spray and then give it an almighty blast.  Does it work on scorpions?  I will soon find out.  I gingerly walk over to the loo and just as I am getting ready to sit I see another creature.  Is it a big fat worm, or is it a short fat snake?  Either way, I am not venturing any closer and quickly finish what I came in here to do, give them both another blast of insect killer, close the door, turn out the lights and crawl under the mosquito net.  Oh! But not before I popped a little blue pill.  No way would I get to sleep after seeing what I just saw.

No comments:

Post a Comment