Wednesday 13 November 2013

A new day in Bangkok

My day started by saying goodbye to Bianca which was sad, but knowing I will see her again in a few days made it easier. She was off home again, our planning mission complete for now.  I remain to finish my dentist mission.

After a slow start I checked out of the Atalanta, left my luggage in their storage facility and walked off in search of a couple of bits and pieces at Siam Paragon, the place with the amazing foodhall anddeli-type   supermarket.  But I wasn't there for food, but costume jewellery and knowing I had nothing much else palnned for the day it gave me the freedom to spend hours looking for what I wanted.  Doesn't seem to exist, not there anyway so next job was to top up my phone.

I have been to the dtac providers shop twice before and was reluctant to go back but was struggling with the fact that my phone is costing me more here, where I only use local internet, than it is in NZ.  I have asked twice how to change it, so today I am going to ask again. Now the shop is in a mall with many many english speaking and other tourists.  No one in the shop knows how to speak english or they make out they dont.  But they must understand as when I tell get that I want internet, no telephone she gives me a brochure and indicates that I can pick one.  Well. Hello lovie.  It's in Thai.  If I knew how to speak thai I would have told you to pull your head in by now.  I told her I no read Thai and she pulled it out of my hand, shrugged her shoulders and walked off.

Oh what the hell I'll just pay for another four days to get me out of here and do something more permanent at the airport on the way to Lao.  I show the top up lady the number and said top up (and a please in Thai) and she starts a conversation with me in Thai.  Sorry I dont speak Thai and asked for paper to write down what I want. No paper, no pen.  I pass over the money, grab my card and walk out.  O they are lucky Dobbo wasnt with me, but they they probably wouldn't understand him swearing at them anyway.  Three visits, 5 people and each as rude and the one before them.

Frustrated I head home, on the way checking out a shopping centre and supermarket on the corner of Soi 2 where the hotel/s are.  Wow, what a find.  Not only did I find water, drinks etc but I also found a few things that Bianca was after.  Yay.  While there I noticed a Lebanese Restaurant.  Dinner tonight sorted.

Back to the Atlanta to collect my things and walk the 50 metres to my new abode.  The Aspen Suites, where for the last minute special price of $35 I have a huge room, kitchentte, massive bathroom, large screen tv, free wifi and a pool downstairs.  Wonderful.  
                                 

Washing done I have a rest and off I go.  Four BTS stops to the dentist and two hours to do it in.  What else but to walk, with a few window shopping stops on the way it takes me an hour and a half for the 5 odd kilometres.   It was an interesting trip taking me through the area full of bars, single men looking for asian women, sleaze and more sleaze.  Quite an eye opener and Im glad I walked this way during daylight because if it is full,of hookers and men in search now imagine night time.  Later on I passed a guy hand in hand with a girl and from the conversation it was obvious that he had just picked her up.  Made my skin crawl.  Imwonder how domthey know that they are pixking up a girl (maybe they dont want a girl) for the lady boys are stunning and very hard to tell that they are not a female.  

I carry on with my walk, perspiration rolling off me but enjoying just watching and observing and looking in the odd shop window or inhaling the gorgeous aromas coming from the street food.  Bout time I had some more.   Further along I come to the malls and shopping area I was in with Bianca looking for glasses and also a fab department store, that has neitherbtourist junk nor designer stock.  I spent ages just looking.  Eventually I get to the dentist with time to spare and explore the supermarket over the road.  Not too different to,ours at home

Dentist visit successful.  Best smile in years.  Yay.  So I head home, this time walking to the station and then catching the BTS.  As planned, lebanese for dinner.  Hummus like I haven't had since I left Jordan and then just divine freshly cooked pitta bread.  Nothing like what we have at home and extra special.  To top it off I had fried kibbeh and they too were divine.  Weird.  Here I am in Thailand and having the best Lebanese I have had in years.

The day has been low key restful and productive.  My reasons for being in Bangkok are now fulfilled.  I can get out of here.  One more day tomorrow and I'm away, hopefully to never return.  There are so many  other places I would rather spend my time.


No comments:

Post a Comment