Friday 22 November 2013

Hanging about in Vientiane

THURSDAY - Yay for a slow day today.  I didn't have anything special planned so wandered around the suburb where Bianca lives and found my bearings, took photographs of the street signs so I can show the cabbies, checked out the traditional markets down the road and came home and sorted a few things here.

I was on a search for linen for Bianca so grabbed a tuktuk, managed to tell him where I wanted to go, negotiated a price and set off happily in the tuktuk.  Quite proud of myself.  On the way we stopped and picked up a very old lady who kept smiling and touching my arm.  She kept indicating that I should put my money into my bag (I had the fare ready in my hand) and she was going to pay.  No way that was going to happen but how nice of her.

No luck at the markets but i did find the phone company that I was told were the best in Laos and got a new SIM.  This will be the third I have had in Laos.  First one internet only meant I couldnt ring for a driver if I needed to, second one was phone and internet but no one knew how to attach the internet part of it, so my thrid one was literally third time lucky and now I have both phone and internet for around $7.50 per month. And both of them work. Yay.  Not surprising I had three in Thailand and only one actually worked and cost me a fortune.

From the phone shop I walked into the city and checked out the home store where I found linen and a fewother things   but by now time for lunch.  My toasted sandwich the other day was good enough for me to  want another so back I went and it was just as good.

Nothing much else to do once I had finished my errands but I checked out the possibility of getting a weaving lesson, picked up some tourist brochures from the iCentre and  back to Khop Chai Deu for refreshments while I waited for Bianca.  We finished our beer Lao and spring rolls and checked out the night markets along the riverside.  Bianca pointed out the exercise classes along the riverside and so I might come back one night and join in if I can cope with the heat.  Tonight was exceptionally hot for me.  The markets were lovely, not your usual touristy junk but some nice souvenirs and handcrafts.  I will come back and do a slow wander one night.

A quick dinner of gyoza and squid balls and we set off home for a relaxing night hanging out with mr happy Dee Jai, the cutest wee pup.

A low key day is just what I needed after a full on four weeks where I really haven't stopped at all.  Its starting to feel as though I haven't stopped too.  Feet sore, eyes closing while I sit at the table, just tired and need some good nights sleep.  Looking forward to another slow day tomorrow.  Bring it on.

FRIDAY should be called LAZEDAY because other than domestics and a walk or two I have done very little.  Played with the cat, played with the dog, relaxed, did washing, cleaned floors only to find them covered in red dust a few minutes later.  The soil here is very red and they are doing road works outside so the dust is everywhere.  Not a lot you can do about it but grin and bear it.  At least its not like Naboisho where it was coming out our pores.

Dinner time amd we grabbed a tuktuk into the city to Sticky Fingers where I had a yum, but too small version of BBQ spare ribs with, again, too small version of great wedges.  An ice cream trumpet in the tuktuk on the way home finished the day nicely

SATURDAY
Bianca had to work at the WIG (Womens International Group) annual bazaar so I went along for the ride.  What an amazing bazaar, excellent retail stores, many with superb handcrafts, a huge food area with all sorts available, actvities for the kids and the adults.  Probably the best bazaar I have ever been to. Much of the time I spent watching the children perform on stage.  Too cute.


Perhaps the best part was spent sitting under a tree people watching.  The bazaar was largely organised by the expat women with proceeds going to a charity.  As a result many of the people there were ex pats and the local people were those that have dealings with the westerners.  It was like being in another world.  Suddenly hoardes of overweight westerners and scarier were the many over weight asian kids as well.  I guess thats what Westerners are known so well for.  Shame.

From the bazaar we went back to Khop Chai Deu (think I have been there every day I have been in Vientiane) for lunch and then round the corner for a cold drink before we went searching for the dressmaker we have had recommended.  No luck with the dressmaker so we came home, slept and then went and got the most yum rotisserie chicken for dinner.  Also got some duck but that was so tough we couldnt eat it.  Oh well.  One out of two aint bad.

Dee Jai entertained us for the evening by being a mad dog, like all wee puppies should.


Good night from Vientiane.

HAPPY SUNDAY
Today was started with a lovely brunch and the rest of the day was spent starting on some wedding preparations, lolling round home, playing with the cutest wee DeeJai and generally not doing too much at all.  The road outside the house is being chopped yet again making access hard and so it was easier just to stay put and organise ourselves for a busy day tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment