Friday 15 November 2013

Farewell Bangkok

In fairness, I have to write this wee update as I sit at the airport waiting for my flight to Laos.

My check out of the hotel was uneventful and my cab awaited.

Once I was out of the central city and away from the ugly overpasses the place looked so much nicer.  Lots of trees, less concrete but with that prettiness also came some pretty downtrodden sad places as well.

My pleasant cabbie helped me with my bag once we arrived at the airport and the lovely lady at check in ignored the extra kilos and issued my boarding pass without any comment.

The VAT desk lady stamped my papers with a stamp that said NO REFUND then pointed the way to the refund desk.

The lady at the post office was delightful.  Neither immigration, nor baggage checks really cared about me and the latter didnt care that I had liquids in my bags.  Maybe I could have got the water through after all (I gave two bottles to a guy driving a trolley as I figured they wouldnt be allowed through).

My 100baht VAT refund was returned without a quiver by a friendly and cheerful lady.

The two fried eggs I had for breakfast were neither tasty nor hot but I had fun dunking the cold toast into them.  They were served by a waitress who was not overly friendly but at least didn't toss them at me. The espresso burnt and cold.  But it came in a real demi tasse cup so I cant complain.

As in HCMC I heard clearly  and understood all the announcements at the airport and I can honestly say that they are the first two airports (or most public places for that matter) where not only can you hear but can also understand the annoucements.  The flight calls sound as though they are fill in the gaps type as the voices sound very robotic, but whatever it is great.  Impressed?  Yes.

The one thing I wanted to do whilst here was to sort my phone SIM.  There has to be ine diwnside and that is that there is no DTAC store airside!  Bugger.

Have I, by leaving the central city, come to a new city without knowing it?

My time in Bangkok is over.  I am not sorry and am not planning in a return, but if I do it will not be to the central city but somewhere further out away from the melee, but still close to transport.

My boarding call is clealry heard over the intercom and I collect my belongings and join the Lao Central airways queue.


No comments:

Post a Comment