Wednesday 20 November 2013

Au revoir Vang Vieng

Not sure which is the worst: the music till 1:00am, the bloody roosters at 5:00am,  or the prayers at 7:00am.  I overheard other people that are staying along the river saying similar things so next time I think the answer is to be in the hotels at the southern end of town, guess thats why they are more expensive.  OK I've said my bit now.  Get over it and move on.

Despite the noise I had a late and slow start  and just went wandering, nowhere in particular but I ended up at the Luang Prabang Bakery and somehow, mysteriously a piece of divine fresh chocolate cake appeared in front of me.  How did that happen.  Since it was there I had to eat it and damn glad I did too.

                                    


Another indulgence today when I had a 30 minute foot massage for 30,000 kip - about $4.50.  The massage place looked like the many others along the "strip", very basic with a nicely written sign out front.  Inside were 5 things like matresses, all covered in floral matching sheets and at their head a fluffy pillow in a nice contrasting floral pillowcases.  Still it was clean.  The lady asked me to lie down which i did thinking it was unusual for a foot massage but thats OK.  while lying down gazing at th ecieling I managed to get a good look at the ceiling decorations.  How they can possibly think that soggy, stained and sagging ceilings are the sort of thing that people want to look at I have no idea but oh well. $4.50.  As with most massages I have had in Asia I wonder about the knowledge and training these people have had and whether they have any idea about pressure points or whatever.  But I loved this lady for she made out my horrible scabby bits were must normal and lavished them with oil, which was divine.  Khop Chai Lai Lai.  Lovely.

I return to the Inthira to pack my bags and see the staff all sitting together enjoying a meal.  I asked for a photo op, which they agreed to and then invited me for lunch.  How nice.  I was depserate for the loo and didnt like to say so I declined their kind offer and went to my room.

                                                    

Each day as I walked down the hallway to my room I would notice the floral arrangements.  Some deft person has cut the top off drink bottles, zigzagged the top, rolled it over and filled the bottles with stones and some greenery.  Looked so striking.  Note to self.  Keep those bottles, never know when you   might need a vase.

                                                     

The mini bus collects me from the Inthira Hotel but not before I have taken a lovely photo of all the staff in the Khop Chai Deu Tshirts which they have just been given.  I started to email it to them but the mini bus arrived and I rushed off losing my wifi connection.  I so have to get this sorted.  Yesterday when I bought the new phone SIM I asked them to cut the old one down for the iPad.  They did but it's crooked so wont fit and now of course no use to man or his dog.

The mini bus was a bit different to the first one that took me in to Vang Vieng.  This one had "character"; falling apart, no aircon but two ordinary fans mounted on the ceiling which didnt appear to work, the seats were covered in dust and the driver not so pleasant.  Still we are safely deposited at our bus which leaves almost on time.  The VIP bus not quite as nice as the last one but still very OK.  For some reason the return trip costs more than the inward leg but for 60,000 kip ($12) it is still a bargain.

                                                

I watch as the backpackers, dead on their feet, lug their packs to the bus.  Oh thank heavens for wheels. The thought of travelling with all my possessions squashed on my back lost the shine many years ago.

We set off. The scenery is stunning with the river meandering through fields of rice and small villages keeping everything green as it flows.  We pass stall after stall of dried fish, one of the specialties.  I wonder who buys it as there are few cars on the road.  I also wonder how long it sits there for.

Stopping at the rest stop I go looking for Miss "one tousand" but she is nowhere to be seen.  I feel disappointed at missing the photo op.  I wasn't quick enough last time but then feel better when I snap the bus radiator being filled up from the tap at the rest stop.  

                                

Minutes after I took the pic and walked on the radiator overflowed and the driver ran like mad to turn the tap off.  That was a missed photo op.  Getting back to Vientiane was quite uneventful but surprisingly, instead if going back into the city from where we started the last time, we are dropped at the Northen Bus Terminal, a wee way out of town.

As soon as we arrive I spy this Bus and wished I had travelled with Pooh and his freinds.

                                

Busting for the loo I pay my 1tousand and rush off.  I come out and most people are squashed into a large tuktuk heading for the city.  I join a few others and board the next one.  Only 6 of us and a few seats spare.  He collects our 10,000kip.  And we wait.  And we wait.  And we wait.  Then we eventually set off.

Only for a couple of secs, for soon we are parked in another parking lot where he is negotiating with a crowd of people to take them too.  We move along the seats and squash up.  One young lady is moved into the passenger seat up front.  She didnt seem to happy about it.  The rest of us straddle our bags while four people plus bags of rice, linen, all sorts get shovelled on board with us.  And still we wait.

Not being one to be dicked around, or to keep my mouth shut I called out and showed him my watch saying "go now".  Nothing.  A few minutes later he is having an argument with people next to the tuktuk.   "Go now".  Nothing.  So I indictaed money by rubbing my fingers together.  He pulled 10,000 out of his pocket and gave it to me.  I snatched it and promptly walked across the car park and got another   tuktuk.  It cost me far more but I was on my way.  As I left the others were doing the same thing.  I wish I had thought fast enough and I could have got the others into my tuktuk and saved them the hastle.  I had read about this sort of scam where they would refuse to leave unless the bus was full in the hope that they could screw the passengers for the fares from the empty seats.  Wrong person, wrong place mate.  I was happy paying the extra and not playing your games.

My cab drops me in the city after battling quite a delay with heavy traffic and I meet Bee at Khop Chai Deu as planned.  Tom, Tiak and the kids join us for a lovely meal and a really nice evening.  Dinner started with some spring rolls, and beer Lao.  Our main meal consisted of Larb, for a change, Papaya Salad (and a beaut), lime fish (divine), BBQd skewers, chicken with sticky rice stuffed and cooked in bamboo tubes (so yum) and sticky rice.  All really good.

                                                 

                                                 



A tuktuk dropped us at home and we ended our day playing with DeeJai and Joey.  Avother lovely day.


1 comment: