Wednesday 13 November 2013

Last night in Bangkok

Well over a week in this city and I am not sad to be leaving tomorrow.  

Today, my last day was spent wandering.  Yesterday I walked all the way to Phrom Phong.  Today I went in the other direction and went as far as National Stadium; a distance of about 4 kilometres, but slow going as I checked out every shopping centre on the way; and there are many if them.

Shopping wise, rather mean pickings.  A couple of pair of cheap and nasty trousers for teaching in.  My main purchase was a small handbag for when I am wandering the streets.  I saw it and fell in love early morning and, as I do, carried on until I was certain it was what I wanted.  Unusually for me it was a branded product and so was pleased when I spied the 'Kipling' store on the way home.  Not only did I get a discount but can also claim the VAT at the airport.  Shame that when I got it home I found it wasnt big enough for all my stuff. Oh well, it will still get used.

Foodwise there were slim pickings today.  For lunch I ate at the fifth floor food hall at MBK.  Not only overpriced, but rude and terribly disorganised staff, desperately overcooked prawns and pineapple juice that was luke warm.  Serves me right as I decided early in in the piece that I didn't like the place but was in need of a rest and it was close by.

But I did have the best coffee I have had outside of Italy and NZ at a little place called "After You" at Centralworld.  My espresso was accompanied by a piece of mocha caramel cake and boy was it good.  The coffee came in a demi tasse cup which, with its saucer, sat on a wooden board and had a tiny biscuit to go with it.  Beautiful presentation.

                              

On the way I wandered through the Bangkok arts and cultural centre.  Some great art  and jewellery on display and for sale.  Walking back to the hotel it was good to see Xmas decorations going up.   A reminder that the big day is fast approaching.  

                               

As I walk I hear a lot of shouting and people watching over the side of the walkway.  Thinking it was a protest I stop to have a look at what was happening below.  The noise was coming from the police college and the police doing exercises to the loud instructions.  Very smart in their uniforms.

                                 


A little further on I bump into my neighbour from Wellington.  The lady that was at Vertigo Bar with us.  What a laugh bumping into her in the middle of Bangkok, far from where we both live.

The incessant traffic goes on.  Today it is not as bad as it has been.  It at least moves.  Interesting watching the light phasing.  Each light stays red for ages so the wait on red is very long and sometimes the queue clears on the green which is equally as long.

                                                  

Back at the hotel I decide on room service as I dont have the energy to go anywhere.  My penang curry is bought to my room and demolished in five minutes.  OK, just OK but it was food.  As I am finishing there is a knock on the door.  I assumed it was someone to collect the plates so I open up and it is the maid bringing me another towel (she had only left one this morning).  The towel was still warm.  I cuddled it.  She laughed.  I gave her 10 baht. She gave me a hug, asked where I was from and told me she loves New Zealand and Switzerland.  Made my day.  The loveliest person I have met in Bangkok. 

I took a photo of the gorgeous lamps in the room. I want. 

                                                

And so the stay in Bangkok comes to an end.  My mission compete, wedding shopping done, teeth fixed I hope I don't ahve to come back until I head back to NZ when it will necessitate a transit stop to the airport.

I have had my fill of Wats, most of them on the last visit, eaten some great food and some not so great food, sussed the BTS system, walked my feet off, fixed my teeth, had a ball with Bianca, confirmed my dislike for this city and seen every shop from Phrom Phong to National Stadium. 

Shopping wise I can't say I have seen anything too different to NZ and Australia.  Most of the shops exist at home and prices are comparable.  On a couple of things that I specifically knew the NZ price of they were more expensive here.  Then of course there are the market stalls and MBK and they are cheap in price and in quality, so nothing wonderful there.  Same sort of thing that tou can get in any Asian or middle eastern country.

I have been ignored, snapped at, served without anyone speaking, pushed, shoved and then finally hugged.  Big cities are notorious for rude people but this place takes thte cake.  Today I noticed that it is not just the locals but many tourists are just as bad.  Perhaps it is catchy.

There is nothing attractive about this city.  Sure the pld part is beautiful,with the Wats, the Palace and lumphini gardens are rather lovely but the central city is plain ugly.  Concrete everywhere,  hot, humid, in parts dirty otherwise just dusty; plain ugly.

                                    


Farewell Bangkok.  

No comments:

Post a Comment